Sunday, March 1, 2009

Yes I am turning Japanese...and I like it...

A trip to the Asian Market in CARY, NC ( Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) opened up a new world of culinary delights. Myron bought me a Japanese cookbook for Valentine's Day. Reading it is like reading the anthropological undertakings of Margaret Mead. It isn't about recipes, even though half the book is recipes, it is about the harmony of the Japanese kitchen , the indigenous foodstuffs, the visual presentation and the pleasures of the senses.

The book, Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen, by Elizabeth Andoh is more of a journey through the Japanese kitchen than a cookbook. I have learned that when one incorporates 5 colors in the meal, all necessary balanced nutrients are satisfied....so much for the Southern cuisine of Baked Mac and Cheese followed by Banana pudding! I relish the fact that my dishes don't have to match each other! Instead they must complement the food served in them. Rustic ceramic dishes in odd shapes do not clash with traditional blue and white porcelain. I can't wait to purchase some odd shaped ones to add to my rather dull collection.

Vegetables have unique and exquisite flavor! Miniscule dried sardines crackle in the fry pan providing calcium and a briney flavor. Miso soup can be made in minutes that tastes great and doesn't even register points in Weight Watchers! Red Snapper filleted at the fishmonger, bought home and simmered in Sake, Soy and Mirin is to die for and took only 10 minutes. Rice cooks great when left alone and pickled ginger cleanses the palate....

Of course, I have to learn how to use the proper utensils and acquire appropriate crockery, but I am on my way to creating delightful and sensual meals. The picture is of my homemade Miso soup with shitake mushrooms, tofu and marine vegetables. I apologize for the boring soup bowl... I had to make do.
The song I am Turning Japanese by the Vapors.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mO4mJA3MYs
Love
Anna and Myron

No comments: